North Carolina is a coastal state with a wealth of natural resources and human capital invested in marine science. The Marine Bio-Technologies Center of Innovation (MBCOI) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization headquartered in Wilmington, North Carolina, with satellite offices in Morehead City and Research Triangle Park. MBCOI combines a regional focus with a global perspective and facilitates collaboration among stakeholders (academia and industry) on emerging marine biotechnologies. These collaborations help translate innovative discoveries into products and services, thereby stimulating North Carolina’s economic growth.
MBCOI was created to focus specifically on the market potential and translation of marine-related research in North Carolina into products and services. These include the following diverse areas for development:
- Health, e.g., pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, cosmeceuticals, biomaterials for medical devices;
- Energy, e.g., biofuels – either ethanol-type or biodiesel from coastal and marine resources; wind, wave, and Gulf Stream energy;
- Aquatic Food, e.g., mariculture, novel and emerging use of natural marine resources; and
- Diagnostics, e.g., enzymes, biochemicals, and methods for detection/quantification of contaminants in food or water from marine environments.
Our vision is to stimulate North Carolina’s economy by establishing MBCOI as the “go-to” center for information, collaboration, and commercialization of marine biotechnologies.
MBCOI’s mission is to accelerate the commercialization of innovative technologies by uniting stakeholders in marine research both domestically and internationally.
In order to support its vision and mission, MBCOI intends to become the nexus for marine biotechnology in North Carolina. Going forward we shall:
- Foster unity among North Carolina stakeholders in marine biotechnology
- Serve as a liaison for researchers throughout academia and industry
- Provide a mechanism for scientific exchange through focused workshops and meetings
- Identify opportunities for collaborative, multidisciplinary research
- Stimulate economic development by assisting with the expansion of current organizations and creation of new enterprises
- Promote an international identity for North Carolina’s efforts in marine science.
The MBCOI is guided by a Board of Directors
Status: Phase II Funding
View a white paper: MBCOI White Paper - A Nexus for Marine Biotechnology
For More Information
5600 Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington, NC 28409
For general information about the COI program contact Mary Beth Thomas at (919) 541-9366.